Original post is here.
I was asked a couple times from various people for more details and instead of mailing everyone individually I decided to just write a post about it. The size of the block is 10 1/2″ by 10 1/2″. So it would be 10″ sewed. For an idea about how big the stars are, the centers are 1″. The tutorial that Lula Dahl gave us for the wonky stars was here. Note: I did not use half triangles when sewing on the points I just used squares. It works the same. Her way saves fabric, mine saved time 🙂
First when making my designs I always start with graph paper. I love graph paper. In college I took a sociology class,the teacher was really boring, so I would doodle on graph paper during his lectures 🙂
Please ignore all the miss spelled words. I am the worse speller ever!
After drawing my design I then figure out the measurements for all the pieces and write it down. When making the initial design I make sure I assign a measurement to one square. In this one it was one square equals 1/2″. I normally like to do one square equals 1/4″ but it would not fit on one sheet of paper.
Here are the pieces you will need to make the square:
16 – 1 1/2″ x 1″ for the rectangle background pieces
32 – 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ for the point background
1 – 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ for the background center
4 – 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ for the background corners
8 – 1 1/2″ x 3″ for the border background rectangles.
You will need 8 different colors. You will need from each color:
9 – 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ for a total of 72 squares
Ignore the fabric on the far left that was for the other block 🙂
Now for the piecing.
1. Make all the points for the stars like in the tutorial. You will have four completed squares for each color for a total of 64 squares.
2. Lay all pieces out so you can stay organized.
3. Sew the pieces in red together first.
4. Now sew these pieces in red together.
5. Now sew the pieces together in each color group.
6. Now sew dark blue to light blue, then add the green chunks. Then add to that the yellow chunks. All that is left is to sew the red chunks on and now you are done!
I hope this makes since. If not please leave a comment and I will get back to you. Also, if you make this block let me know. I would love to see it!